Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Finding Comfort in a Storm

Snow Snow Snow. It is officially winter and we are officially in a winter deep freeze.

I dont know about you, but I was secretly harboring wishes that the snow may not stick around....much like the last snowfall we had. It melted away and we had the second coming of fall. This time, I think it is here to stay. Unfortunately for me, my wishful thinking meant I did not bring my lawn furniture in...

Oops.

Today was one of those days where you realize that the lazy days of summer are gone...


And the days of cleaning your car EVERY time you leave the house to go somewhere are around for at least the next few months.

UGH!

It is days like this that I like nothing more than to spend an evening Hunkering Down (my moms words for getting cozy). So I did just that.

I made myself a cup of tea in my current favourite giant Starbucks mug,


And I pulled out my stack of books. When I say stack....I mean that in the literal sense.

Confession....I am a book hoarder.

I have a problem with compulsively buying books and magazines, putting them on my bookshelf, then letting them collect dust for years. I have 2 bookshelves that are overflowing with books of which three quarters of them I have not read. YET. I will someday! I also have a major problem with buying books, starting them, then getting bored and starting a new one.

Currently I am reading five books. This is my stack of current reads:



I am sure some of you are doubtful that I am reading all five of these, but here is the evidence of such craziness:



Bookmarks in all of them.

It is very possible I have the readers version of ADD. It is my goal to get through the majority of these by the time New Years rolls around.
To me, there is nothing like laying in bed with a mug of hot tea and a good book on a snowy day. Comfort epitomized.

Something else that perks me up on a winter day is a really good dessert. I love comfort food and for me, anything with pumpkin in it is comforting. I do not know if it is the association pumpkin has with holidays and family gatherings or if it is all in my head, but biting into a pumpkin dessert is pure comfort to me. The other day, I made Pumpkin Pie Brownie Cupcakes which I found on my favorite blog. You can see the recipe here. My cupcakes turned out to look NOTHING like the ones on Angelas blog (pictured below).

20101001-IMG_3870

This is how mine turned out...



Not nearly the same, but they tasted OK, which is all that matters to me.

And the final thing that bring me comfort on a winter day is good company to share these things with.



Stay warm:)

ADELLE

1 comment:

  1. I am the same way with books ... I buy them like crazy!!!! I am currently reading 3 :-)

    ReplyDelete